Save with these brilliant pensioner discounts
You’ve heard the saying, “Take care of the pennies and the pounds (or in this case, rands) will take care of themselves.” And it’s easy once you’ve reached retirement to make your money stretch that little bit further thanks to the number of pensioner discounts on offer. Here are just some of the ones you can enjoy.
AA South Africa
Senior citizens qualify for comprehensive on-the-road services and medical rescue for over 30% less thanks to the Automobile Association of South Africa’s AA 60+ Advantage Standard and AA 60+ Advantage+ Premium options.
Are you passionate about carpentry? If so, make sure you visit Builders on Wednesdays to enjoy a 10% discount on all cash sales.
Good to know
- You’ll need to show your ID at the till point to qualify for your 10% saving.
- The discount excludes services and products on promotion and doesn’t apply to purchases made on account.
If you don’t already have a Game pensioners’ card, here’s why you may want to consider applying for one next time you’re in store: On Wednesdays, you qualify for 10% off the first R1500 you spend.
Good to know:
- You’ll need a copy of your ID book as well as an ID photo to apply for your card.
Planning to travel locally? Perhaps you’ve got a bush holiday lined up? Or you’d love to visit your grandchildren? The good news is that Mango Airlines offers pensioners over 60 years of age a 10% discount on selected flights on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Book online or call 086 100 1234.
Good to know
- You’ll need your ID number handy in order to make a booking.
- You’ll be required to hand over a copy of your ID at the check-in counter.
It’s important as you grow older to keep a regular check on your blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure. MediRite pharmacies (you’ll find them in over 140 Checkers and Shoprite stores nationwide) offers pensioners over 60 a free wellness screening on the first Wednesday of every month.
Good to know
- Book ahead and remember to take your ID along with you.
- Several Checkers and Shoprite stores offer pensioners a free cup of soup every Wednesday morning, so remember to pick yours up from the deli after your wellness screening or during your shopping run.
Nu Metro and Ster-Kinekor
If you’re a movie lover, you’ll be thrilled to hear (if you haven’t already) that pensioners enjoy a 50% discount on all Nu Metro screenings. If you’re a Ster-Kinekor regular, you qualify for a 25% discount on all tickets and shows (except for Half Price Tuesdays).
Need to get your eyes tested or your prescription checked? Spec-Savers offers pensioners over 65 a free frame, chosen from a select range, when you pay for an eye test and prescription lenses.
Spur Steak Ranches
Spur may be your grandkids’ favourite supper spot, but did you know that this family-friendly chain also caters for the over 65s? Next time you’re visiting, ask your Spur waitron for a Seniors’ Menu.
If you’re an adventurer at heart, you’ll definitely want to take SANParks, CapeNature and Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife up on their discounted (by up to 40%) accommodation rates at selected national parks and reserves. You’ll find all the details here.